Job Title: Lead Ombudsman
Salary: £30,000 - £35,000
Hours: 35 hours per week (Monday to Friday 9-5)
Location: Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Dispute Resolution Ombudsman Limited is an independent, impartial, not-for-profit, government approved Ombudsman.
About Us - Dispute Resolution Ombudsman
This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic and respected para-legal organisation. The role is to motivate, develop and performance manage a successful team of legal and ADR professionals.
Primarily our teams, liaise with organisations and consumers to assess evidence, conciliate, mediate, and adjudicate assigned cases. Leading the Ombudsman team, you will be expected to give legal advice on consumer law and complaint management to organisations contracted to our schemes. In addition to team presentations and huddles, you may occasionally support external training workshops.
Continual development of your own and sharing expert knowledge of relevant aspects of ADR within the sectors within which the Ombudsman operates now and, in the future, is key. Other activities will include assessing legal documents for accuracy (e.g. T&C’s, guarantees, warranties, etc).
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Manage a 50% case load in accordance with SLA’s, in addition to the other Team Lead responsibilities
- Ensure fair allocation of cases to the Ombudsman
- Manage and take responsibility for escalation of complaints about our service or decisions, in line with our complaints process
- Actively support and mentor colleagues and members with legal and dispute resolution
- Ensure highest standards are achieved and maintained in accordance with our rules, values, and quality assurance policies
- You will lead by example, both in your adherence to, and supporting colleagues, in relation to SLAs, quality and performance and be accountable for the accuracy and consistency of service delivery
- You will challenge appropriately to achieve continuous improvement wherever possible
- Support Ombudsman in ensuring cases are completed timely and effectively against SLAs
- Effectively conduct regular 1-2-1s with Ombudsman and highlight any successes as-well as potential progression that can be achieved
- Communicate with stakeholders professionally by telephone, email, text message and letter
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with all stakeholders remotely and face-to-face
- Author legal articles for publication in consumer and industry press, as required
Personal Attributes and Skills
- Proven legal skills, with solid knowledge of current consumer and contract law, supported by an appropriate degree level qualification (minimum LL. B)
- Proven supervisory experience/ capabilities to lead high performing teams
- Technical expertise in the ADR and furniture and home improvement/rail industry, and any other sectors within which the Ombudsman operates
- Ability to confidently provide coaching and training
- Perseverance and determination in achieving individual and team targets
- Dependable and reliable: able to produce consistently high quality and quantity of work
- Confident, authoritative, and able to communicate at all levels
- High attention to detail
Because of the changing nature of our business, your job description will inevitably change. You will, from time to time, be required to undertake other activities of a similar nature that fall within your capabilities as directed by management.
- Holiday Allocation: 22 days plus bank holiday (1 day increase per year of service up to 5 days)
- Company pension scheme: The People Pension 3%
- Insurance Protection (Private Medical Health, Cash Plan & Life Assurance)
- Wellbeing Platform Access
How to apply: Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org /