Job Title: Ombudsman
Reports to: Lead Ombudsman
Hours: 35 hours per week (Monday to Friday 9-5)
Location: Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Dispute Resolution Ombudsman Limited is an independent not-for-profit, government approved Ombudsman. The Dispute Resolution Ombudsman Limited, incorporating The Furniture and Home Improvement Ombudsman and Rail Ombudsman provides alternative dispute resolution for the rail, retail, furniture, home improvement and other consumer services sectors.
Our vision is to inspire consumer confidence, raise industry standards and resolve disputes without the need for costly litigation. We are neither a consumer champion nor a trade body.
We operate independently to ensure fairness in every case. with the aim of building a bridge between both sides, to resolve disputes and reach the right resolution. We're totally independent which means we can be trusted to help reach an agreement that is fair for both parties.
The organisation is a City & Guilds Approved Training Centre which offers an array of training courses covering customer service, consumer and retail law and complaint management.
This is an exciting and unique opportunity to join a growing organisation which provides Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) to a range of businesses and their consumers.
You will play a key role within a team of experienced legal and ADR professionals resolving disputes between businesses and consumers. Your role will be to assess evidence, conciliate/mediate and adjudicate on an assigned case load. You will be expected to give legal advice on consumer law and complaint management to subscribing members and take part in presenting both internal and external training workshops.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Using your legal knowledge, assess evidence and use a method of conciliation/mediation and adjudication to resolve disputes between businesses and consumers
- Communicate with stakeholders professionally by telephone, email, text message and letter as appropriate
- Provide sound legal advice to business on consumer law and complaint management
- Keep abreast of current legislation through internal know-how sessions and personal learning
- Assess legal documents for accuracy (e.g. T&C’s, guarantees, warranties, etc)
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with all stakeholders remotely and face-to-face
- Work with team colleagues, and the senior management to improve the quality of the ADR and legal service provision to stakeholders
- Author legal articles for publication in consumer and industry press, as required
- In line with the organisation’s Communication Plan and other business objectives, engage with members, consumers, government and third sector organisations to develop/enhance/maintain relations and improve the profile of the Ombudsman
- Develop, write and deliver training courses in consumer law and other related topics
- Promote the Ombudsman’s range of training courses, as directed, to emphasise our aims to raise standards within industry
Personal Attributes and Skills
- Legal research skills and a desire to develop your understanding of the law supported by a minimum LL.B upper second class degree or equivalent. Postgraduate / vocational legal qualifications considered advantageous
- Diplomatic and commercially astute displaying an understanding of the needs of consumers and our registered members
- Ability to manage multiple tasks or caseloads
- Ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Ability to apply legal knowledge and make sound decisions
- Perseverance and determination in achieving individual and team targets
- Dependable and reliable: able to produce consistently high quality and quantity of work
- Excellent prioritisation and able to reach decisions quickly and effectively
- Excellent organisational abilities
- First class customer service skills
- Confident, authoritative and able to communicate at all levels
- High attention to detail and able to carefully analyse files and data
- IT Literate (Microsoft Office)
- Flexible and adaptability in your attitude and approach to work
- Ability to change and adapt to the business need
- Welsh speaking would be advantageous
Because of the changing nature of our business, your job description will inevitably change. You will, from time to time, be required to undertake other activities of a similar nature that fall within your capabilities as directed by management.
- Holiday Allocation: 22 days plus bank holiday (1 day increase per year of service up to 5 days)
- Company pension scheme: The People Pension 3%
- Free Parking
- Insurance Protection
How to apply
Please send your CV to email@example.com