Skip to main content

Dispute Resolution for Music Licensing

Music Licensing

From 1 February 2020, Dispute Resolution Ombudsman will provide alternative dispute resolution services for the music licensing company PPL PRS Ltd and Performing Right Society Limited (t/a PRS for Music).

What can we help with

Please see below for more details of the types of complaints we can deal with:


PPL PRS Ltd licenses businesses and other organisations for the playing or performing of music in public in the UK. Dispute Resolution Ombudsman can investigate complaints about PPL PRS Ltd from its customers. This may include complaints about their customer service, or if you believe you have been charged incorrectly for The Music Licence.

PRS for Music

Licensing: We can investigate complaints from music licensing customers of PRS for Music. This may include complaints about customer service or if you believe they have not licensed you correctly.

Membership: We can also investigate complaints from members of PRS for Music. This may include complaints about customer service, or if you believe PRS for Music has failed to deal with you fairly, professionally or in a transparent manner, or has otherwise failed to deal with you in accordance with its Code of Conduct.

Please note that some complaint types fall outside of Dispute Resolution Ombudsman’s jurisdiction. These include:

  • Licensing complaints where some form of action under civil or criminal law is already underway, or which relate to licensing tariffs, terms and conditions or any other matter that is within the jurisdiction of the Copyright Tribunal;
  • PRS membership complaints where another dispute resolution or regulatory proceeding is underway or may be more appropriate, or which relate to PRS for Music’s commercial policies, including policies governing the distribution of royalties to members

When we can help

Dispute Resolution Ombudsman can usually only consider a complaint if you have been through the relevant music licensing company’s complaints procedure in full. If you have done this and have been unable to agree a satisfactory resolution to your complaint, then you may be eligible to raise this with us.

How to raise your complaint

The quickest way to raise your dispute is via our website, utilising our secure portal. To do this click the button below:

Raise your complaint here

Should you prefer, you can download a copy of the Complaint Application Form, this can be returned to us via email or by post.


Post: Dispute Resolution Ombudsman, Premier House, 1-5 Argyle Way, Stevenage, Herts, SG1 2AD

You can contact our Consumer and Member Services team on 0333 241 3209. They will happily talk you through how the service works and post or email you the relevant forms.


Call us free on
Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm