Skip to main content

Dispute resolution for TrustMark

From 1st September 2020 Dispute Resolution Ombudsman will provide an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service for consumers and businesses registered with a TrustMark Scheme Provider – a list of these can be found here.

Dispute Resolution Ombudsman is a full member of the Ombudsman Association and approved by CTSI under the Alternative Dispute Resolution for Consumer Disputes (Competent Authorities and Information) Regulations 2015.

When we can help?

It is important that you confirm you have exhausted their internal complaint’s process by giving the business and the Scheme Provider an opportunity to fully investigate and respond to your complaint.

The Ombudsman will accept your complaint if;

  • You have been provided with a final response from the Registered Business or Scheme Provider, and/or;
  • It has been 12 weeks since your first complaint to the Registered Business, it has been escalated to the Scheme Provider and you are still not satisfied with the response you have had to date (you may be asked to evidence this);
  • Your complaint is within 12 months of making your initial complaint to the Registered Business;
  • You have been through a Scheme Provider’s ADR Scheme (if applicable) and a formal decision has not been accepted by you.

If you bring your complaint to us and you have not been through a Scheme Provider, we will refer you back to TrustMark who will signpost you to the relevant Scheme Provider. The Scheme Provider then has 30 days to attempt to resolve the dispute with you. If you remain dissatisfied, you can then bring your claim back to the Ombudsman.

How we can help?

The Ombudsman can help if:

  • Your complaint is with a business that is registered with TrustMark through a TrustMark Scheme Provider.
  • The work was carried out during their period of registration with TrustMark and remains registered with TrustMark during the ADR process.
  • Your complaint is not being, or has not been dealt with by a court or another tribunal (for example a binding ADR process, such as arbitration).

What can’t we help with?

The Ombudsman cannot help if:

  • Your complaint is against a trader who has entered administration, liquidation or who has ceased trading.
  • Your complaint is not made as a private individual.
  • Your complaint is being, or has been, dealt with by a Court or another tribunal/Ombudsman scheme.
  • You have accepted a resolution via a Scheme Provider’s ADR service in full and final settlement of the dispute or entered a binding ADR process, such as arbitration.
  • You refer your complaint to the Ombudsman more than 12 months after you receive the Registered Businesses final response letter.

What can you expect from us?

Your complaint will be assessed on an impartial basis and the service free for you to use.

It will be investigated by one of our team members who collectively hold legal and professional qualifications in Alternative Dispute Resolution and have between them amassed several years of experience in law and resolving complex consumer disputes.

Any decision we make, if accepted by you will be binding upon the business.

How to raise your complaint

We would initially recommend that you read our Consumer Guide.

You can then raise your dispute via our secure online complaint portal here.

If you would prefer to download our application form you can do that here. Once it has been completed you are able to email this back to us together with your supporting documents to or post it to us at the following address;

Dispute Resolution Ombudsman, Premier House, First Floor, 1-5 Argyle Way, Stevenage, Herts, SG1 2AD


Call us on
Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm